Sonntag, 24. März 2019

Day off in Tel Aviv

My delicious Shakshuka
I was able stay in Arik's apartment, as he is in Paris right now - thank you very much Arik!
This morning I slept in, took time to pray and read the bible and later hired a bike to cycle into the city centre. Unfortunately the bike was too small for me and I couldn't go very fast. Downtown I went to the Carmel Market and further to the Haganah Museum with an exhibition about the formation and activities of the Haganah, the forerunner of today's IDF. In the museum I read about various kibuzzim and realized that my geography of places has become much better by hiking on the Shvil.
On my way back I had a delicious Shakshuka at the Carmel Market and enjoyed an hour at the beach before I went home. I had to organize my next week and especially the Jerusalem trail, which I want to add to my Shvil hike. I am really looking forward to hiking up to Jerusalem - this is where the meaning of  the Hebrew word "alijah" comes from. It literally means "to walk up" and also refers to the Jews returning to their land after living in the diaspora.
Carmel market Tel Aviv



Bauhaus architecture in Tel Aviv


Independence hall - here David Ben Gurion proclaimed the Jewish state of Israel in May 1948
We went inside for a guided tour two years ago and it's worth visiting.
Famous Beach Skyline of Tel Aviv

View to Jaffa in the south

one of many beaches in Tel Aviv




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen