Freitag, 15. März 2019

Day 9: Extreme ascent up to Mount Tabor


Today I had to face the hard ascent of around 30% to Mount Tabor - from 0 to 590 m altitude within 2 km. It was really tough. The weather was very cloudy almost foggy and soon I was above the clouds. I was reminded of the story in the Bible in Matthew 17 when Yeshua took three of his disciples up a mountain, supposedly Mount Tabor, where they witnessed his transfiguration into divine form and saw Moshe and Elijah and heard a voice from heaven "This is my beloved son." Why was it significant? I can see two reasons. Yeshua was called "Son of Man", being close to human beings - one of them. His transfiguration among other events revealed his divine nature. The appearance of Moshe and Elijah symbolically represent the law and the prophets. Yeshua fulfills countless prophecies and Moses is the connection to the law that God had given to the people. Yeshua came to fulfill the commandments of the law to provide an answer for the problem of sin to set men free so that they can become sons and daughters of God. Those were the thoughts I was pondering on Mount Tabor.
I went to the Catholic and the Greek Orthodox church. The monk didn't want to let me in at first, but as a Shvilist doors are opening. I spent 90 minutes on the mountain, had a tea, talked to my family on the phone, and in meantime the weather cleared up and it was nice for the rest of the day. The descent from Mount Tabor was the next big challenge. It was so steep and slippery that my hiking sticks were a big help. It felt like downhill skiing on the black piste.
Today was Friday so you could hear the muezzins shouting through loudspeakers. I went through a valley and then up to Mount Deborah and later Mount Yona. What a tough day! At the end of today's hike I must have looked quite exhausted. A very nice Arab man, Taufin, gave me a car lift to the next hill. There I saw the wonderful Nazareth Irises. I took a bus to Nazareth where I had a Falafel and Arabic salad. I will spend the night in a hostel with some Arab music.

Catholic church

Catholic church inside

Orthodox church

Nazareth

Mount Tabor

Outlook to Mount Gilboa

Outlook to Nazareth

Nazareth Irises





1 Kommentar:

  1. For the first time today Manni said that he is glad that I am not with him on the Shwil. I guess that it must be very demanding. It would have taken me three days to climb up Mount Tabor. But Manni is tough, he can do it. Go Manni go!

    AntwortenLöschen