Donnerstag, 21. März 2019

Day 14: From Zikhron Ya'akov to Sdot Jam (Kibbutz and Beach)




Zikhron Yaakov (Jacob's memorial) was founded in 1882 by Baron Edmond James de Rothschild in memory of his father Jacob. In the morning I saw historical sites (like an aqueduct which is still working) and the Botanical gardens of the Rothschild family or Hotem ha'Carmel that offers a nice view to the sea. I followed the Shvil down a steep descent. On the way I met some Israeli shvilists walking northbound. They were really excited to meet a foreigner (maybe also because of my age...) who walks the Shvil. Later a big dog was barking at me followed by a man - Avishai and we started a conversation. He often travels to Germany for business and we found out a few things we have in common (married the same year). Avishai has 3 girls. He praised my wife for letting me go for such a long time (he is absolutely right). Avishai comes from a Dutch Jewish family and his father was in hiding on a farm to survive the Holocaust. I told him about my friend Betty from Jerusalem who experienced the same during the war when she was only 18. We had a nice time of personal sharing and fellowship. As he often comes to Germany I heartily invited Avishai to visit me and my family in Nürnberg.
Then I reached the sea and walked south. I was well on track, so I took a break at the "aqueduct beach" in Caesarea to eat someting. This is one of the nicest beaches in Israel. Here I had a good talk on the phone with my daughter Emily who updated me of things going on in her life. After a kilometer I reached the official tourist center of Caesarea with its historical sites and excavations of  king Herod's time. You can visit a big Roman amphitheatre, a hippodrome, impressive ruins with mosaic floors and the ancient harbour. We visited this place last summer, so I was under no pressure to do any sightseeing. Instead, I paid Itzhik a visit - the owner of the best falafel shop in Israel. At least our family nominated him after testing many falafels and we told him about our conclusion. That's why Itzhik still remembered me. Last summer I told him that I would come back to his falafel restaurant when I do the Shvil. He made a mint tea for me and supplied me with even more food for the evening. The day finished in Sdot Yam at the beach.

Here an update on my radio interview, more will follow:
https://christlichesradio.de/mannis-shvil-2019-israel-trail/manni-in-israel-teil-2-woche-der-bruederlichkeit/
Zikhron Ya'akov: last still operating aqueduct

Zikhron Rothschild park

Baron Rothschild - a big supporter of Zionism



clever - an old aqueduct underneath a bridge



first view of the Sea

the aqueduct beach of  Caesarea
great spot

Caesarea port - restaurants / shops 

Caesarea - excavations of the ancient city

Itzhik - best falafel chef in Israel





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen