Montag, 1. April 2019

Jerusalem and back on the Shvil

First of all here is the link to the latest radio interview (in German).
https://christlichesradio.de/category/mannis-shvil-2019-israel-trail/

I spent another day in Jerusalem. In the morning I went to the Museum of Underground Prisoners that commemorates the activities of the Jewish underground (Haganah, Irgun, Lehi) during the period leading up to the establishment of the State of Israel between 1941 and 1948. This building used to be a pilgrim's hostel and was turned into a prison during the British Mandatory period. It is still in its original condition and shows what it was like to be a prisoner there.
After that I walked to Zion Gate (built in 1540) were the Israeli soldiers entered the old city in 1967 to bring Jerusalem's holiest sites back under Jewish control.
In close proximity I visited another site - one of the holiest Jewish places - the Tomb of King David on the ground floor and the upper floor of the same building has traditionally been viewed as the location of Jesus and the Disciples' last supper. According to the Bible King David was buried in the city of David (1 Kings 2,9), nevertheless, this building is a place of worship and a Yeshiva.
The hill of Mount Zion is the highest point of the old city. It is dominated by the Church of the Dormition, an abbey and monastery by the Benedictine order, consecrated in 1906. It is one of Jerusalem's most recognizable landmarks. Walking through this neighborhood I also saw a very lively celebration of a Bar Mitzwa.


I have to say every now and then I was reminded of this wonderful Netflix series "Shtisel" which Ute and I got addicted to over the Christmas holidays. It is about an Ultra-Orthodox family in Jerusalem. Walking around I got the impression that many places looked familiar from the series.

Now it was time to say goodbye to Jerusalem and to get back on the Shvil. I took the bus to the Hadassah Hospital where I wanted to stay overnight. This time I was not alone in the room for Shvil hikers. I got to know Dima and Olga from Kiew - experienced hikers who will walk to Eilat. I tried to see the famous Chagall windows in the synagoge of the Hadassah, but unfortunately it was closed.

a prison cell in the Underground Museum

room of the last supper 

King David's Tomb

Church of the Dormition

city wall with David's Citadel

my Hostel in Jaffa street


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen