Freitag, 26. April 2019

25.4. Goodbye, Migdal Afek and Hike in Sha'ar Gay

My family Ute, Samuel and Jakob had to go home today. I took them to the Airport, everything went very well and they safely arrived in Nuremberg in the evening. They were welcomed with a nice dinner cooked by Emily. After I dropped off my family, I also felt a bit homesick. But I have another wonderful experience prepared for me before I go back to Germany.
It was 9:30 and I was supposed to be in Messilat Zion around noon. Spontaneously Ezra offered to show me a nice and interesting place - Migdal Afek. This place was ruled by Sheik Afek 150 years ago, who was very brutal and even the Ottomans wanted to get rid of him. The story goes that once a dutch surveyor was working in the Afek area and because of horrible rain he and his partner looked for a place to stay overnight. They came to Migdal Afek and knocked on the door. They were led in, Sheik Afek was already sleeping, they had to sleep with the animals. In the middle of the night when Sheik Afek woke up, they were brought to him, the surveyors thought they would be killed. Fortunately this didn't happen. But this experience was so shocking for them, that they made a note about it in their official survey report.
After a heartily goodbye from Ezra I went to the arranged meeting point with Boas. I met Boas when I stayed in Kibbuz Yir'on at the beginning of my Shvil. When we met we updated each other on our experiences of the last six weeks. Boas was reading my blog, so he was well informed about what I had done. Boas had done a hiking tour in the Golan in the meantime which he also enjoyed a lot. We wanted to hike the Sha'ar Gay trek together which is the southern crest of a gorge in which the modern highway number 1 and in the past the only way to Jerusalem was leading. During the war of independence the control of this crest was essential. There are still military posts from this time. It was a great hike on a warm day, we enjoyed each other's company. We also took some breaks and were talking about our faith in God. When it was already getting dark we finished our round trip and promised to see each other again in the future.
Migdal Afek towards the West

Migdal Afek

My great guide who knows every story.

The inner part, right hand where the surveyors had to sleep


Meeting Boas at the camp site in Messilat Zion

View to the North

View to the West

Boas used to be a guide of the Jewish National Fund

Highway Nr 1 - easily to control from above

A relaxed break

View to the Burma road

Highway Nr 1 further east towards Jerusalem

A cave were also fights took place, bullets wholes can still be seen

Our big lunch break

Military bunkers


Valley down to Beit Shemesh

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen