Sonntag, 7. April 2019

Day26: Great outlooks going to Meitar




Avi dropped me off very early at Kibbuz Dvira and he had to go to work. I had my breakfast at a camping ground. Today was the warmest day so far - 26 to 28 degrees. The wind felt like the air from a hairdryer. Today I had a much easier hike with only 19 km, and I took a few breaks on my way. After 7 km I reached the viewpoint of Ga'at hill and had an awsome 360 panorama - to the east into the territories. Right above me I saw another majestic group of storks flying north.
My route ran along the security fence to the territories which Israel had set up for security reasons. The whole security system is 720 km long, 97% of it is a fence and 3% a wall. It was built in the 2000s, because in the first half of this decade hundreds of Palestinian suicide bombings and terror attacks against Israeli civilians killed nearly 1000 innocent people and wounded thousands of others. 
Since the construction of the fence the number of attacks has declined by more than 90%.  The project had the support of the Israeli public and deemed legal by the Subpreme Court.
At Kibbuz Lahav I met three young woman (Hannah, Noa and Renana). They had become friends while doing their national service. Among other things we talked about the Holocaust, they were interested in my position. Renana told me that her grandfather fled from Gailingen (south west Germany) in 1940 and survived. Her grandmother, also born in Germany, managed to go to the US. I expressed my deepest sympathy and said that I am very sorry for what had happened and that we do remember the victims of the Holocaust in our city. However, it is important to us to make a difference with our lives today, to be friends of Israel and stand at their side. I told them that people regularly pray for Israel in our congregation.
I also met Sabine and Hannah from Chemnitz again, Sabine's leg was so much better and again we wished each other good luck.
In the late afternoon I arrived in Meitar, my today's destination. I'm staying with Gitti, an arts therapist, and her husband Matti.  Gitti had to go to an evening class, so I was on my own in their house for 1,5 hours. Israeli hospitality is simply amazing. Thank you Gitty and Matti!
Now there are only two days left until I reach Arad, my final destination for this year.

morning view



Manni on the Shvil

on the way up to Ga'at hill

Ga'at hill



storks


Hannah, Noa and Renana

the security fence

impressions of Meitar





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen