Donnerstag, 4. April 2019

Day 24: Crossing agricultural areas on the way to Tel Keshet


In my shelter I met Shimon and Avigail and we had a great time of fellowship in the evening. Shimon comes from Paris and made aliyah on his own when he joined the IDF three years ago. His parents and five siblings still live in France - a very brave step of this young man. We started the day together but soon had to say goodbye, as we had to hike into opposite directions.
Now in the south I could see more Beduine settlements. They live in tents and are mostly farmers. The government had tried to settle them in villages, but it didn't work. My hike was much easier and more even today. I also passed historical places such as Tel Maresha, mentioned in the Bible as a fortified city at the time of king Rehobeam. Later Simon Bar Kokhba sought shelter here when he revolted against the Romans (133 AD). I also came to ancient Lakish, the second most important city in the kingdom of Judah (712 - 586 BC). I took the chance to climb up the hill and to visit this place. What really surprised me was a big swarm of storks up there - a perfect setting for my lunch break and another interview that Annika from Radio Munich did with me.
In the afternoon I walked across farmland - wheat fields and vineyards. I also saw Thai workers who are employed by the Israelis for farm work. Later I had a very nice encounter with Yaakov who does the Shvil from the south to the north. He comes from Kirjat Arba in the territories and has nine brothers and sisters, he is the second youngest in the family. He is a very nice and kind person. I encouraged him with verses from the Tanach. We had a very warm farewell and wished each other God's blessings for the future. He also was as kind as to talk to my next Shvil angel in Kibbutz Ahuzam which was a great help for me, since Shimon, the Shvil angel, doesn't speak English. I arrived there after five and got a hut for myself. It was a bit dirty, so I did some "Pessach cleaning" and made myself comfortable. Then Shimon invited me to join him for a barbecue. His friend Jossi was with him. It turned out to be an unforgettable evening. The food was delicious. We listened to loud music from the 80s.  Shimon was so excited that he called all the people that he knows who speak German. So I talked to his brother Asher in Switzerland and his friend Claudia from Sde Boker. Another exciting and great day on the Shvil!

Shimon and Avigail

Tel Maresha


a swarm of storks


Tel Lakish - the second biggest city in Judea

workers from Thailand






2 Kommentare:

  1. Hallo Manni, diese Zeiten jetzt wirst Du vielleicht zu besten in Deinem Leben zählen !
    Bleibe weiterhin beütet. Dafür betet Mutti Helga

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hallo Helga, vielen Dank. Les Mal was danach am Abend noch passiert ist.

    AntwortenLöschen