Mittwoch, 3. April 2019

Day 23: Hike to Beit Guvrin

I hitchhiked back to the location of David and Goliath's fight and started from there. The high grass was still wet, so my trousers got soaked. I hiked uphill and stayed on a higher altitude for a few hours. After my hardcore hiking tour yesterday, I was walking a bit slower and concentrated on the smell and colours of this beautiful spring nature. Also the view was magnificent - at the mountains in the east in the territories and Ashkelon in the west.
Then I had a special experience - the world is so small. I was passing a group of young people who were in the middle of preparing a camp for kids. I talked to a guy named Amoz, in our conversation we found out that he is a friend of Ya'ara, the daughter of Dan and Sigal, our exchange family from Kfar Vitkin.  She was part of his group and expected to arrive later this afternoon. So I asked him to send my greetings to her.
My today's destination was Beit Guvrin, a very nice Moshav near the ancient city of Eleuthropolis (Greek for "city of the free"). The place used to be a Roman colony founded on the site of a previous Jewish town. Due to its location on important trade routes the city grew quickly. The Crusaders named this city Gibelin and built a fortress. I took some time to look around an saw the remains of the Roman era: a big theatre, a bath house and the fortress.
Late in the afternoon I reached my destination - a school were young people have some sort of an educational program before they start their army time. The group was expected back late tonight, so it was still quiet. Later more Shvil hikers joined me and we had a nice fellowship. I also talked to my family and we updated each other on news. The group came late from Jerusalem were they had been in the Knesseth. Tomorrow they are going to Sderot close to Gaza to support the Farmers there, who have a lot of damaged fields caused  by the fire dragons sent from Gaza.

The Shvil in the morning

The valley were the fight between David and Goliath took place

Morning break

view towards the east

and the west



the amphitheater

bath house and Crusaders' fortress

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen